National Talent Search Examination-2017-18
National Council of Educational Research and Training
National Talent Search Scheme started in the year 1963. The purpose of the scheme is to identify talented students and nurture them. This year NCERT will conduct theNational Talent Search Examination forstudents studying in Class X.
1. Scholarships: On the basis of the National Talent Search Examination,1000 scholarships will beawarded. The amount of scholarship will be as under:
(a) Scholarship of Rs.1250/- per month for Class-XI to XII.
(b) Scholarship of Rs.2000/- per month for Undergraduates and Post-graduates.
(c) Amount of Scholarship for Ph.D. be fixed in accordance with the UGC norms.
2. Reservation: 15%: scholarships will be reserved for students belonging to the SC category, 7.5% scholarships for students belonging to the ST category and 4% for Physically Challenged Group of Students, with benchmark disabilities of which, one per cent each shall be reserved for persons with benchmark disabilities under clauses (a), (b) and (c) and one per cent for persons with benchmark disabilities under clauses (d) and (e) namely:
(a) blindness and low vision;
(b) deaf and hard of hearing;
(c) locomotor disability including cerebral palsy, leprosy cured, dwarfism, acid attack victims and muscular dystrophy;
(d) autism, intellectual disability, specific learning disability and mental illness;
(e) multiple disabilities from amongst persons under clauses (a) to (d) including deaf- blindness in the posts identified for each disabilities'
Selection: There will be two-stage selection process for award of scholarship. For Stage-I, selection will be done by States/UTs through a written examination. Students, who qualify Stage-I, will be eligible to appear for Stage-II examination, conducted by NCERT.
Qualifying Marks:Qualifying marks for candidates from General category is 40% in each paper and for candidates from SC, ST and PH is 32% in each paper.
Language Test: Qualifying in nature and marks obtained for Language Test will not be counted for final merit.
4. Important Dates: Dates for submission of application form and conduct of examination, are given below:
|Last Date for Submission of Application Form||* To be notified by the respective State|
|Examination in Mizoram, Meghalaya,
Nagaland and Andaman and Nicobar Islands
|04th November, 2017 (Saturday)|
|Examination in All other States and Union Territories||05th November, 2017 (Sunday)|
|Examination in All States and Union Territories||13th May, 2018 (Sunday)|
* However, it may vary from state to state.
5. Eligibility: All students of Class X studying in recognized schools are eligible to appear for the Stage -I examination, conducted by the States/UTs, in which the schools are located. There will be no domicile restriction. Students registered under Open Distance Learning (ODL) will also be eligible for scholarship, provided the student is below the age of 18 years (as on 1st July of the particular year), the student is not employed and s/he is appearing in class X examination for the first time.
6. Examination: The pattern of written examination will be as follows:
Stage-I & II : examination at the State/UT level will comprise of three papers i.e.
|Paper||Test||No. of Questions||No. of Marks||Duration(in minutes)|
|Paper-I||Mental Ability Test (MAT)||50||50||45|
|Paper-II||Language Test (LT) English/Hindi||50||50||45|
|Paper-III||Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT||100||100||90|
At Stage-II (National Level), there will be negative marking in each paper. For each wrong answer 1/3 marks will be deducted. No marks will be deducted for unattempted questions.
7. State Quotas: Each State/Union Territory has been allotted a quota to recommend a specific number of candidates for the Stage II examination, the details of which will be made available on NCERT website. State/UT quota for Stage-II exam will be notified later for 2017-2018 examination. However, there will be no State/Union Territory Quota for the final award of scholarship after the Stage II examination.
8. Application Form:You may contact the State/UT Liaison officer for procuring application form.
9. The completed application form should be signed by the Principal of the school much before the last date of submission. The candidate as well as the Principal of the school must adhere to the last date for submission of the Application Form.Different states may have different last dates for submission. Please confirm from the liaison officer of your state, the address at which the completed forms are to be submitted. The State wise contact of the liaison officers are given below and are also available in the NCERT website www.ncert.nic.in. www.ncert.nic.in. All queries related to application form should be directed to the State Liaison Officers (LOs). No application should be sent to NCERT.
10.Fees: States and Union Territories may notify the fee required which will be paid for the Stage-I examination. Therefore, before submitting the application form, you may find out the fees charged for Stage-I Examination and also the mode of payment from the respective State Liaison Officers (LOs). However, NCERT does not charge any fee for Stage-II examination.
11. Announcement of Results: Results of the Stage-I examination will be announced by the respective State Governments/Union Territories in the month of December, 2017/January, 2018 after receiving Green Signal from the NCERT. Results of Stage-I examination may be submitted latest by 31st December, 2017 and in no case result will be accepted after 15th January, 2018.
12. Indian Students Studying Abroad in Class X can appear directly for Stage II NTS Examination under conditions prescribed in the NTS brochure which is available on the NCERT website. Candidates may fill up the Application Form, available on the NCERT website and send to the undersigned along with a photocopy of the mark sheet of previous examination, latest by December 31st, 2017. Application Form for students studying abroad will be uploaded on NCERT website in the month of October, 2017. Announcement for students of Indian nationality studying abroad will be announced separately.
Educational Survey Division
National Council of Educational Research & Training
Sri Aurobindo Marg, New Delhi-110016
Disclaimer: NCERT has not authorized or approved tests conducted by any other agencies for issue of certificates or award of scholarships and bears no responsibility whatsoever for them.
दूरध्वनी क्रमांक : ०२०-२६१२३०६६ /६७